Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tortellini Soup


What a great week to make soup!  It has been chilly and fall like...and I LOVE it!  I can't wait to start trying out other new soup recipes.  This particular Tortellini Soup recipe was one that my mother used to make when I lived at home.  I remember loving it, so I asked her for the recipe.  I ended up making it Tuesday night because I wanted to use my leftover sausage for the pizza snacks that I made last night.

Here is what you will need:

1 1/2 lb. Italian Sausage
2 Cans Chicken Broth
2 Cans Beef Broth
2 large Carrots, sliced
1 Cup of Onion, chopped
2 Cups of diced Roma Tomatoes
2 tsp of Garlic, minced
1-2 Zucchini, sliced or chopped
1/2 Cup of Red Wine (optional)
2 tsp of Basil
2 Tsp of Oregano
20 oz. Tortellini 

Here is what you do:  
Brown sausage with onion, drain.  Add all ingredients except tortellini.  Simmer for 1 hr. and 15 min before adding tortellini.  Simmer until tortellini is done.   Serve w/ Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. 

This is what we thought: 

Hubby was not a fan of the Italian sausage because it had fennel seed in it, and thought the soup would taste great with ground beef.  Big Brother loved the tortellini and carrots, but picked around the tomatoes and zucchini.  Little Brother ate everything...of course. I thought it was flavorful and delicious.  I served it with little slices of Italian bread and salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)