Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Best Making-Up-Songs Mama

Do you ever have those nights where you sit down exhausted after a day of running after the kiddos and you wonder if you are doing enough?  Did you teach them enough?  Did you discipline them enough?  Did you love them enough?  I felt like this Monday Night, and for some reason I stumbled upon this blog.  It was exactly what I needed at the moment.  The writer of this particular post, Sarah Mae, encouraged the readers to share what they felt they did well as a Mama.  So I thought I'd share with you.  I am the Best Making-Up-Songs Mama.

It all started when Big Bro moved from the crib to the toddler bed.  He was a bit nervous to be sleeping without the comfort of the sides of the crib, so I started soothing him to sleep with songs.  We first started with some old favorites: Jesus Loves Me, O Be Careful Little Eyes What You See,  and This Little Light of Mine.  Before too long, Big Bro was ready to start making his own little requests.  He didn't quite understand why I didn't know any tractor or windmill songs, so instead of disappointing him I started making them up.   Two years later, there is not a song that this Mama doesn't know.  Also, we end each nightly singing session with the boys' favorite, The Windmill Song.  It goes a little something like this...

Windmills, Windmills going round and round, 
Windmills, Windmills way up high off the ground. 
Windmills, Windmills with your blinking red lights, 
That's when we know it's time to go night, night. 

Windmills, Windmills, powered by the wind. 
Windmills, Windmills you would make a good friend. 
Windmills, Windmills way up high in the sky, 
Windmills, Windmills wave to the planes going by. 

Windmills, Windmills spinning round and round, 
Windmills, Windmills way up high off the ground. 
Windmills, Windmills with your blinking red lights, 
That's when we know it's time to say Good Night, Sleep Tight...Don't let the bed bugs bite!

Yes, Yes, I know isn't it just the greatest?  Okay, so a bit cheesy, but I know this will be a special memory for my boys.  It makes me feel just a bit better as a mom that they will someday be singing "The Windmill Song" to their kiddos.  What are you good at Mamas?  Please share!!! I would love to hear all about it! 

***If you want to know a little more about the windmill obsession in our family read this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)