Wednesday, March 13, 2013

MorningStar Farms Meatless Burger Review


Many of you know my struggle with weight loss...well I am at it again...try to lose some weight!  This time, I am getting serious.  I am making some big lifestyle changes, and my diet is one of them.  Right now I am tracking calories and taking a serious look at the labels of the foods that I eat.  I am trying to incorporate protein in my diet to give me the satisfaction and energy that I need to make it through the day.  Therefore, when I had the chance to try out a great source of protein as a Bzz Agent, I was on it.  MorningStar Farms is a company that I was somewhat familiar with.  I had a roommate in college who was a vegetarian and would eat the veggie burgers.  I have always been a little hesitant to try them, but when I had the chance to try them for free, I thought "What the heck?!"  

As a Bzz Agent, I had the chance to try a meatless burger from MorningStar Farms.  I settled on the Spicy Black Bean Burger.  One great thing about MorningStar Farms is that they have a variety of recipes on their website.  I was a little intrigued by the Spice Black Bean Burger Southwest Wrap.  I am huge fan of wraps and this looked tasty, so I made a few changes and whipped one up.   Another great thing about the veggie burgers, is the ease of preparation.  After defrosting the microwave for a minute or so, I quickly cooked it on a non-stick skillet.


One thing that impressed me was the lack of grease, unlike that with ground beef.  It took a few minutes to cook while flipping it every so often.  When it was finished, I cut it into a few small pieces and placed it on a whole wheat wrap.  I topped it with cheese and salsa and popped it in the oven for a few minutes to let the cheese melt. 


When I was finished, I topped it with lettuce and reduced fat sour cream...


and Ta-da!  My truly yummy dinner was born!  I really liked the flavor that the pieces of corn and tomatoes added to the burger.  I also enjoyed the Mexican spices.  While it wasn't too spicy, it did add to it's flavor.  One thing that I wasn't quite sure of was the texture.  It was a little "softer" and maybe a bit mushy when compared to a ground beef.  Therefore, I am not sure how I would like this if served on a bun.  Overall, I was happy to try this out.  I like the health benefits that these products have and I was pleasantly surprised by the taste.  Will this be a new staple to my diet...not sure.  However, I will be willing to try out some more recipes to experiment with more MorningStar Products.

Note:  As a Bzz Agent, I was given a coupon for a free package of MorningStar Farms Veggie Burgers.  I was not compensated for this review and all opinions are truly my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)